Canon gave up supporting the Selphy CP770 photo printer years ago, for seemingly no reason. Some time later, a gentleman named Christian Spuller hacked together the drivers for some Selphy printers to work on Yosemite (Mac OS X 10.10), and made them available at his website. However, it still didn’t work with the CP770. But, with a text edit of the drivers at Canon’s website, you can get it all working in 2018 on at least MacOS 10.13.4. It’s a little convoluted, and requires re-adding your existing configured printers, but if you’re not afraid of the command line, it saves you having to buy a new printer for no reason…
- Christan Spuller’s SelphyYosemite.pkg (direct download)
- Canon’s “Canon SELPHY CP series Printer Driver 6.0 for Mac OS X 10.7” download. As of now this can be found at https://www.canon.com.au/printers/selphy-cp770/support
- Install the SelphyYosemite.pkg file. You may need to right (or ctrl) click and select Open to give the system permissions to run it
- Open the cp530-760-770os-x-06.dmg (from Canon’s website)
- In terminal, navigate to /Volumes/cp530-760-770os-x-06/SELPHY\ CP\ series\ Printer\ driver_126.96.36.199.mpkg/Contents
- Edit the file ‘distribution.dist‘ with a text editor.
- On line 10, replace:
- ‘10.7‘ with ‘10.13‘, and
- ‘10.8‘ with ‘10.14‘
- Save the file
- From Finder, open the cp530-760-770os-x-06 disk image from the desktop, and then open the SELPHY CP series Printer driver_188.8.131.52.mpkg to install it. Again, you may need to right (or ctrl) click and select Open to give the system permissions to run it.
- Reset the printing system (see: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25565?locale=en_US)
- Restart the computer
- Open the Printers & Scanners preference pane in System Preferences and re-add any printers you had, including of course, the Selphy CP770.
Hopefully this will help at least one other person out there, but if not, at least I’ll have a note for myself when I need to do it again for the next version of MacOS.